Wednesday, October 15, 2014

REVIEW - Holding Aces (The Kingdom #1) by Nikki Groom

Title: Holding Aces (The Kingdom #1)
Author: Nikki Groom
ISBN: 1499689373
Release Date: 29 May 2014
Series or Standalone: Series

SYNOPSIS:
**Holding Aces is part one of a two part Adult Contemporary Romance series that contains mature sexual content and language and is not intended for readers under the age of 18.**

*Please note: This is not a dark romance*


They say that time heals all wounds.
But mine are set in so deeply, they’ve taken on a life of their own, lurking in the shadows at every turn and haunting my thoughts.

The girl I once was has been replaced by a stranger.
I don’t even know who I am anymore.

I run.
And I hide.
Pretending to be someone I’m not…

Until I meet Denham King.
My burst of color in an otherwise grey world.
And for the first time in my life, I find myself running towards someone instead of running away.

But fate can be cruel,
and I can’t escape my past.
Can I?

REVIEW:
Soooo, this story has plenty, and I mean plenty of drama and angst, which isn't always a bad thing. Now, if this book had been available 2 years ago, there's no way I would have been able to suspend reality enough to even begin to wrap my mind around everything the heroine has gone through. But, I happen to have a co-worker whose real life dramas play out weekly in our office, and since she hasn't quite mastered the art of the "indoor voice" we're all privy to everything her douchetwat ex-husband is doing to drive her insane. So yeah, I can believe that all of the things that happened in this could actually happen in real life.

I love the tension and buildup between Ari and Denham (that's such a great name!). If there's one thing that could ruin a good story is having the main characters start getting it in way too soon in the book, because after that what's left? All of the buildup happening is like really great foreplay, and by the time the characters really get to the good stuff, you'll be left wanting to smoke a cigarette as well!


Another thing I liked about this story is we get part of it told through Denham's POV (so I'm hoping the next book will have more from Denham's narration). This ends with quite the cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what's going to happen with Ari and Denham.
RATING 
Book provided in exchange for honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great review! I'm so pleased you liked it! If you could post on GR and amazon, i would be eternally grateful. Thank you again! <3

    ReplyDelete