Sunday, August 16, 2015

NEW RELEASE REVIEW - Ryker (Kings of Korruption #1) by Geri Glenn

Title: Ryker (Kings of Korruption #1)
Author: Geri Glenn
Release Date: 14 August 2015
Series or Standalone: Series
Genre: MC Story, Romance


Synopsis:


Charlotte 

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve taken care of everyone around me, including my self-centered older sister, Anna. When her poor choices make us targets of the Devil’s Rejects Motorcycle Club, I grab her and we run like hell. A new city, a new job, a new life. It’s almost perfect – and then I meet Ryker. 

He’s gorgeous, rugged and too cocky for his own damned good. But he’s a biker – exactly the type of man I’ve been running from. I have no business getting involved with a man like him. Too bad I can’t get him out of my head. 
Ryker 
As V.P. of the Kings of Korruption MC, I know all about violence and loss. In my world, getting involved with a woman never turns out well. Avoiding commitment isn’t something I have to work at – it’s just a way of life. Then I meet Charlotte. Drawn to her kindness and beauty, I know there’s no place for her in my world. I have to let her go. 

Finding Charlotte battered and bloody late one night, I go against my own beliefs, making it my mission to protect her. The Devils are out for blood and it’s Charlotte’s they want. Maybe I can’t keep her but I will put my life on the line to keep her safe. If not, I face losing the only woman that’s ever made me feel alive. 

***Note: This book contains violence, strong language and descriptive sexual situations. It is intended for readers over the age of 18

PURCHASE
AMAZON / B&N / SMASHWORDS / iTUNES / KOBO




This is the first book in the Kings of Korruption MC series, as well as the author's debut novel and I loved every minute of this story! 

I'll be honest, I'm always a bit hesitant when starting a book by an author I've never read, because I'm not sure how or if I'll be able to relate to their writing style. I am so glad to say that any trepidation I felt when starting this book quickly disappeared by the time I got to the end of the first page. I seriously thought about enduring a book hangover once I got settled in with the story, but then remembered I was driving to work the next morning and you've got to have your shiznit together when driving in the nation's capitol.

But I digress.

So while this is a MC romance, it's not a typical MC romance because neither Charlotte nor Ryker was even looking to fall in love. Charlotte actually has a genuine fear of MC gangs, no thanks to her older sister Anna (who is the character that will make you "that bitch"). Ryker has always vowed to never get involved with a civilian because he saw first hand the tragic consequences that can happen when a civilian hooks up with a biker.

Regardless of their respective reasons, they are thrown back together when Anna's past collides with the present and Charlotte is the intended target. I was completely blown when Anna explained what happened in the past, the reason why she and Charlotte had to escape, and even more shocked when the deal was revealed (again, you will find yourself saying "that bitch!")

Charlotte and Ryker's relationship will make you feel like you've got whiplash watching it all play out, and there is the standard form of angst that makes an appearance and drives a wedge between them. Not to mention pride getting in the way, which is what sets the stage for the dramatic ending to the story.

Now, while I greatly enjoyed this story, there are a couple of issues I wish had been resolved in a different way: Anna got off too lightly in this book. But maybe we'll get a better explanation in a future story. And Krueger's part of the story: I would have liked there to be more drama and action when it came to the confrontation aspect of the book. 

Other than those two points, I really enjoyed this book from start to finish, and I cannot WAIT to read Tease's story next, I have a feeling that is going to be a hell of a story!

ARC provided in exchange for honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment